August 31, 2015 1:54 am
• Replace your front door with an ENERGY STAR® alternative, complete with decorative glass accents or sidelights to keep cool weather out and natural light in. For entry door inspiration, check out Pinterest, your resident showroom or your local home improvement store.
• If a door replacement is out the budget, swap out door hardware instead for an instant facelift. Select finishes that compliment features like outdoor light fixtures, the mailbox or house numbers.
• Before cold weather sets in, consider repainting the exterior trim framing your home. This will refresh the look without costing as much as an entire exterior paint job. Choose a color that coordinates with the home’s primary exterior color.
• Fall plantings add beauty and life to your home’s exterior. Arrange pots filled with hardy plants, like mums, sedum or asters around your front door, porch or deck. Incorporate planters or containers of varied sizes, shapes and colors.
• Add exterior accent lighting to the front of your home for more lighting as the days get shorter. Consider illuminating a walking path with ground-insert solar lights, using solar spotlights to bring out landscaping, or installing matching light fixtures outside your front door, garage door or patio door to provide well-lit entrances.
Published with permission from RISMedia.