July 10, 2014 4:00 am
• Paint furniture in bright colors and set against a crisp, white wall to create a preppy look synonymous with Nantucket.
• Spruce up your foyer with a bright, cheery blue and coordinating white trim. If the area includes a staircase, add contrast by painting the balusters in a glossy, rich shade of navy blue or black.
• Keep the historical seaside charm of Nantucket alive by painting your front door in an unexpected color and adding a nautical doorknocker.
• For an oceanside cottage feel, use accents such a rope detailing, knots, waves and shells.
• Blue isn’t the only color that evokes shades of the sea. When it comes to your décor, mix in silvers and light grays with weather greens for a truly ocean-inspired look.
• Use the powerful colors of a Pacific Ocean sunset to transform a room – think corals, burnt oranges and peachy-pink tones.
• Most contemporary beach houses along the coast keep a neutral, monochromatic exterior color scheme and add in small doses of bright color as accents. To achieve this look, keep your home’s exterior white, gray or neutral and add color to your entry door, planters or outdoor patio furniture.
• Potted citrus trees are common on the west coast and can add charm to a yard, entryway or kitchen. The splash of green with yellow or orange adds a touch of color and gives any space an organic feel. Use a matching pair to flank an entry, driveway or door.
• Coastal Mediterranean style is about light and fresh living. To recreate this look at home, paint a room’s walls, trim and ceiling in all white.
• The exteriors of buildings in this European coastal paradise are sun-kissed with warm tones of white, yellow and terra cotta. Achieve this look by highlighting wooden shutters in warm colors.
• Remove heavy window treatments such as wood blinds and thick drapery in favor of light and airy white linen drapery panels. Hang them from just below crown molding and puddle on the floor slightly for a casual, billowy effect commonly seen throughout the Mediterranean.
Published with permission from RISMedia.